[mythtv-users] MediaMVP and Myth

Jeff volckaert jvolckaert at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 15:38:44 UTC 2006

> After a few days I figured out that with out using the Myth box as DHCP you
> can get into problems with the MediaMVP booting. Specifically the BOOTP
> protocol is implemented with the DHCP, thus if you have another box doing
> DHCP the mediaMVP will get IP address from DHCP sever and since it does not
> have a boot image it will then send a bootp request on port 16867, thus you
> have to implement a bootp server on the myth box which listens on port
> 16867. I have not figured out how to implement the bootp server quite yet,
> but did find some C code where others have written their own custom solution
> for this problem.
Why not just have the Myth box do DHCP for the network?  Below is the
config I use.

# DHCP configuration generated by Firestarter
ddns-update-style interim;
ignore client-updates;

subnet netmask {
        option routers;
        option subnet-mask;
        option domain-name-servers,;
        option ip-forwarding off;
        range dynamic-bootp;
        default-lease-time 21600;
        max-lease-time 43200;

group {
  next-server;          # IP address of your TFTP server

  host mvp {
           hardware ethernet  00:0d:fe:00:8a:81;
           filename "dongle.bin.mvpmc";
           option root-path "/home/mvp,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,nolock";