[mythtv-users] scanning of EIT EPG data while idle

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sun Nov 12 01:49:59 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 12:19 +1100, Paul wrote:
> Can some-one give me a hint one why this doesn't appear to be working for me.
> ie I cann't see any data being inserted at all.
> In fact EIT scanning for LiveTV doesn't appear to be working for my HDTV channels too.
> Is this because of some difference in the Australian DVB-T? or is this feature broken now?

It should work, a few problems people encounter are:
  1/ Use external channel scanner, channels.conf import in 0.20
     does not import the required info for EIT, you must use the
     internal scanner. (In SVN head, channels.conf import should
     work, because it is just used to seed the internal scanner.)
  2/ EIT must be enabled for the video source and on every channel
     with EIT. If you use the internal scanner EIT should be enabled
     on all the channels with EIT by default, but you still need to
     enable it for the video source (unless you use the EIT only
     video source.)
  3/ DVB EIT support must be compiled into the MythTV binaries.
     If you are using 0.20 this shouldn't be a problem, but in earlier
     versions of MythTV it was possible to not compile in EIT support.
  4/ When the EIT scanner is started is set by some options in the
     general mythtv-setup, if it is set to start 2 hours after the
     last recording, then it may never start on a busy system.

The EIT scanner is a work in progress, it currently does not play
nice with other listings sources. A few pertinent tickets are:
  #1035, #1770, #2342, #2416, #2417, #2418, #2587

The first one is a tracking ticket for the on-going rewrite. This
is where you can see what has been fixed lately or is in the master
plan. While the others have to do with specific problems with EIT.

-- Daniel