[mythtv-users] MythTV BBC HD DVB-S2

Andrew Lyon andrew.lyon at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 09:34:02 UTC 2006

On 11/10/06, Linus Surguy <me at linus.me.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to Mythtv, but have it up and running fine with a DVB-T tuner card.
> However, I'd love to be able to receive the satellite broadcast of BBC HD.
> I've googled around, and it appears that this is supported - but how is not
> clear.
>
> So,
>
> - is the satellite version supported?
>
> - which dvb-s2 cards are required/supported?
>
> - do I need kernel patches?
>
> - do I need mythtv patches?
>
> - do I need extra software?

The BBC HD test channel is broadcast over dvb-s in MPEG4 with MBAFF
encoding, it is not dvb-s2 (which sky hd channels are), so you can
receive it using a standard dvb-s card, I get it with my Technotrend
S1500 on Astra 28.2E BBC HD:10847:v:0:22000:0:2320:6940, unfortunately
 mythtv/ffmpeg cannot decode MPEG4 with MBAFF encoding in realtime, in
fact even the best H264 MBAFF codec (Coreavc on windows) cannot decode
it in realtime.

On my Core 2 Duo 6600 2.4ghz with 2gb ram and Geforce 7600 GT it plays
for a second or so, then stalls for 2 to 3 seconds, then resumes,
repeat.

You can record, and then transcode to xvid, that works and I did that
with the BBC Planet Earth series that were broadcast on BBC HD.

At this stage I think only set top boxes with dedicated H264 decoder
chips can handle realtime playback.

Andy