[mythtv-users] more than one capture card

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Nov 5 19:04:07 UTC 2006

On Nov 5, 2006, at 11:44 AM, brian boyle wrote:

> Hey Folks.
>
>     I have a new question. i am wondering how everyone is handling
> the fact that new motherboards come with only one serial port. i
> recently built a new backend machine which i love except that it
> only has a single serial port. i purchased a Startech pci serial
> port with the expectation that i would be able to use it to control
> my second capture card (that work great in my old system) but with
> no luck.
>
>    so basically am i the only one with this problem. i sent several
> messages to the lirc mailing list and got no love so i have hopes
> that someone has had better luck with this same problem.
>
> Thanks once again.

By "controlling your second capture card" I assume you mean
controlling an STB that feeds it? Since you mention lirc I assume you
are not controlling a DirecTV box by serial cable but rather an IR-
controlled  box of some sort via an IR blaster?

I thought that there was some way to use an IR blaster to send two or
more sets of codes and thus control more than one device. I know you
can use a "MyBlaster" device to control multiple devices through a
single serial port.

You can also control the MyBlaster through a USB port using an
adapter. I would assume you could do this with a standard "dumb"
blaster as well.

A lot of assumptions I know. I'm using a "MyBlaster" because I
decided the $40US that the device cost was a better way to go than
beating my head against a wall for a couple of days to get the LIRC
solution working. It would definitely solve your problem but that's
not to say that other solutions would not do so as well.