[mythtv-users] Mythtv and DivX

Matthias Thyroff lists at thyroff.net
Wed Nov 1 08:20:04 UTC 2006

alain maisonneuve schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> Does mythtv play AVI (DivX) files?
>
> I have a file that i would like to play, when i go to "Watch Videos"
> in my media library i see it. When i select it, i see Loading... for
> about 2 seconds then i return to the selection screen.
>
> what am i doing wrong?

Hi Alain,

this exact behaviour I see when my frontend user does not have the
permissions to open the file on the server; try "chmod 777 yourfile.avi"
to test that.

About playing DivX, yes that works. If you are using .20, you can define
if you want to use the internal player or an external player for playing
different file types. I use mplayer to reproduce avi files. And on my
Ubuntu system, I have a package called "w32codecs" installed which
provides a divx codec for mplayer (and for other players, I think, but I
am not sure about the internal player).

What I want to say is that you might need the correct codec, if it is
not a permission issue. Try to play the video with mplayer from a
command line to check that, and check with your distro's installer,
search for "codec" and see if there is a package available (you may need
to add an additional repository to find that package; that depends on
your distro; search google for "yourdistro divx codec".)

Good luck

	Matthias