[mythtv-users] Creating DVB device files in Fedora Core 5?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed May 31 19:30:50 UTC 2006

jonny Linux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed Fedora Core 5 on my backend with a Twinhan DVB-T
> card (in the UK) I was running FC3 on the machine.
> I'm running the kernel 2.6.16-1.2122_FC5, dmesg shows the Twinhan has
> been recognised, but there are no /dev/dvb files. Can anybody tell me
> how to create the device files?

If you search the archives you will find that there are a number of
possible reasons for this, depending on exactly how your card works.

If your card can use more than one kernel module, the usual reason is
that it is loading the wrong module first. If you strip your box down to
just this tuner card, and the card shows up at /dev/video then your
kernel is loading the wrong module. (For a pcHDTV HD3000 card this would
be the NTSC-capable cx8800 module, when what is needed is the
ATSC-capable cx88-dvb module.) In that case, list the unwanted module in
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-compat and the kernel will no longer load it.

Worst case, put a 'modprobe yourmodule' line in rc.local, although this
should not be needed.

The relevant /dev/ entry should be created upon the loading of the
proper module, however the permissions may not be correct. You may have
to add a file to /etc/udev/rules.d/ to set the permissions.. See the
wiki and the archives.

If that still does not work, then you likely have a weirdly configured
kernel. Most of the 'off-the-net' kernels have *everything* turned on as
a module, so whatever the kernel finds, it can load the proper module.
If you 'rolled your own' however, you may have turned off some of the
switches in the dvb area, in which case, your card will never work. You
will have to re-compile the kernel. (This is not a likely prospect
unless you have already compiled your kernel!)

Geoff