[mythtv-users] serial ports

yan seiner yan at seiner.com
Wed May 31 15:50:41 UTC 2006

brian boyle wrote:

> Hey folks.
>
>    I just recently replaced my backend server with something newer and
> much more robust (P4D 3gig with a gig of ram and 1.25 terabytes of
> storage). i am very happy with the system except the fact that many
> new motherboards only come with one serial port. this is the case for
> me and this is a problem as i am feeding my two PVR-250's from my two
> satellite receivers and i need the second port to change channels on
> the second receiver. i bought a startech pci serial port card, but i
> am having trouble with it. I spoke with them and they did not have a
> lot to day about it and i am hoping someone here will be able to help.
> when i do an LSPCI i get the following
>
>  06:02.0 Serial controller: NetMos Technology PCI 9835 Multi-I/O
> Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 02 [16550])
>         Subsystem: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic Unknown device 0001
>         Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 17
>         I/O ports at 1070 [size=8]
>         I/O ports at 1068 [size=8]
>         I/O ports at 1060 [size=8]
>         I/O ports at 1058 [size=8]
>         I/O ports at 1050 [size=8]
>         I/O ports at 1040 [size=16]
>
> this makes me believe that the OS is aware of the card and it is just
> not installing the drivers. i am including a list of /proc/modules
> just in case it helps.

It probably doesn't have the drivers compiled.  Did you look in your
kernel  config to see if you have non-standard serial port support built
as a module?  I would google for 'etMos Technology PCI 9835' and see if
you get any hints on what driver you need.  Also make sure you have
support for more than 4 serial ports enabled.  Look in your log files; I
have two Siig CyberSerial cards and depending on the slot and kernel
version they have shown up as ttyS56 and ttyS57 - so if you only have
support for 4 serial ports you will never see them.

Serial ports and multi-io cards should be pretty much no-brainers unless
it's an intelligent card, like an Eicon or Digi.

--Yan