[mythtv-users] Remote MythTV setup/user in Europe. Advice?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed May 31 13:05:11 UTC 2006

On 5/31/06, Niels Dybdahl <Niels at dybdahl.dk> wrote:
> On 5/30/06, Mark <list at onnow.net> wrote:
> > I need to figure out a way to get mythtv in Europe from a North American
> feed.
> > I had a perfect system in Canada ( two PVR cards and lots of disk
> space.... )
> > Now I have moved to Europe and my Family wants MythTV and North American (
> English ) TV again.
> >
> > I want to figure out a solution.
> > I have a very fast internet connection here ( 1024 up and 12000 down ) and
> it is unlimited.
> >
> > What is the best way to set up a linux box here that might sync or
> something to a server with capture card in North America?
> >
> > I would like to hear some opinions on the best way to do this.
> > Also, I have the linux box here, but not in North America yet, so I would
> be willing to pay someone for a feed.
>

> Note that even if the feed has a 768 kbit/s upload, you would max get 8 GB
> through per day, which is 4 hours recordings (at 4500 Mbit/s). Transcoding
> to MPEG4 would improve this. You might also consider MythStreamTV.

I've found that you can compress the PVR streams with XviD quite a bit
without noticable quality loss. You can easily get a 1hr show (44mins)
into 700MB (1 CD) if you convert the audio to mp3. You could go even
smaller (~200-350MB) if your not too concerned with the quality. Or by
using H264 if your hardware is fast enough to decode, could prbly get
in the 200-350MB range with minimal quality loss.

HD is obviously a different story, and "the scene's"  HR.HDTV format
works out to be the right combination of settings to get an HD show
down to 700MB with minimal quality loss, only discernable on larger HD
displays.

Someone asked me for my mencoder scripts recently, and I plan on
cleaning them up and posting them to the list for people to use as
I've had great success with them.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!