[mythtv-users] Remote MythTV setup/user in Europe. Advice?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Wed May 31 07:06:48 UTC 2006

> It seems to me the easiest solution would be to set up a Myth box in
> North America and have it record shows for you, then transfer the
> recorded files to your local machines.  That's pretty straightforward
> to do securely with SSH, among other options.

Well, if you are only going to be basically replicating the North
American Mythbox, and not doing any local recording, you could just
use the box in North America as your Master Backend, and then your box
in Europe as a Slave/frontend.  Do the rsync in the night (as
suggested above) with the /video directory to get all the recordings
over.  The db could exist across the world, it's very small bandwidth
actually used to query the db for the information it has, so you
probably wouldn't even notice that part of the delay!

IF you were going to record programming locally as well, you would
likely still be fine assuming the odd coincidence of the channels
being the same number and the recording starting at the same time
(well, actually I think that would still work because Myth would
assign it a different filename due to the different tuner number
recording the show).

Sounds like you are a go, assuming you aren't breaking any export laws
or something like that.  I guess if you subscribed to the programming
it would be legit?  What a funny thought, but maybe you could call the
CBS folks and see what their thoughts on how legal it is are...  :D

Good Luck!

Chad