[mythtv-users] [Mythtv-users] - Slightly OT - New TV or Plasma in Aust

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 31 05:40:29 UTC 2006

On 05/30/06 22:26, Steve Hodge wrote:

>On 5/31/06, Chris Henderson <jchendo at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Connection wise,
>>What is the best to look for?
>>MY FX5200 has the DVI output so that will give the best Picture, Right?
>>What is the advantage of a HDMI input over a DVI, remembering that the only
>>thing that is going to be pluged into this thing is my Mythfrontend with the
>>FX5200.
>>
>DVI or VGA. Theoretically DVI should be better, but I've heard they're
>indistinguishable in practice. I'm using VGA myself.

I'll agree that theoretically DVI should be better and add to it that
theoretically VGA should be better.  In other words which is better is
dependant upon many factors--including the device outputting the signal,
the cable and it's characteristics (wire guage, length, etc.), the
device receiving the signal, the connections, ...  So, the only way to
know which is better /for your equipment/ is to test both and choose the
one that works the best.  However, as Steve said, you're unlikely to
notice a difference.

See also http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html .  It
uses Component as the basis for the analog comparison, but much of what
it says about the analog signal also applies to VGA.

>HDMI has no
>advantages over DVI, AFAIK.

Definitely true.  Signal-wise, HDMI is identical to DVI, but
often--because an HDMI bundles video and audio cables in one
sheathing--uses inferior (lower guage) cable than DVI.  The inferior
cable can impact quality--especially as distance increases.  IMHO, HDMI
is "DVI for dummies" (those who can't figure out how to plug in both the
video and audio cables).  :)

Mike