[mythtv-users] [Mythtv-users] - Slightly OT - New TV or Plasma in Aust

Chris Henderson jchendo at gmail.com
Wed May 31 04:06:47 UTC 2006

Hi everybody,

> DVI or VGA. Theoretically DVI should be better, but I've heard they're
> indistinguishable in practice. I'm using VGA myself. HDMI has no
> advantages over DVI, AFAIK.

Cool that makes it easier.

> Along those same lines, I have a really big problem with DRM, so I guess
> > that there is no HD DVDs for me.
>
> I don't think anyone knows exactly what is going to happen in that
> department yet. There will be some sort of DRM though, so I wouldn't
> count on being able to play them via Linux. At least not until someone
> cracks the system a la DeCSS.

Please, everyone, dont get me wrong. I am all for some form of protection
for the DVD CD's etc. But what i have read and what is posted here the
current DRM is just too tight.

> No, DVI (or VGA) are going to be better than component, composite, or
> s-video.

Cool.

If you do use DVI or VGA, one thing to keep an eye out for is what
> resolutions a plasma (may also apply to an LCD) will accept. I've seen
> some plasmas that will only take "standard" type signals such as
> 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768. Low spec plasma are usually 852x480 pixels
> which doesn't fit well with those resolutions.

Hmmm,
That is interesting.
from all of this mycurrent specs are

Plasma or LCD (wife wants the thin one)

42" of  screen size.
1366 x 768 res
4 pixel 5 year warranty

            Inputs
VGA or DVI, component video and s-video
 The 1366 x 768 res seems to be very popular with the makes. I will have to
have a look at this JB HiFi one, sound interesting.

Main thing is I don't wanna be stuck in the same position I am in now. I
have a 68cm Sony TV. but Myth looks crap on it Because it only has the Red,
White Yellow connectors.

If I buy this then I don't wanna make the same mistake.

CH