[mythtv-users] Any ideas how to make my hard drive shut up?

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Tue May 30 15:31:53 UTC 2006

On 30/05/06, Richard Bronosky <mythtv at bronosky.com> wrote:
> Here is my system:
> http://bronosky.com/index.php?p=21
>
> I've been happy with it for several months now, but I'm started to get
> annoyed with the HD performance.  I opted for the HD with 16MB of
> cache, I have 512MB of RAM but for some reason the HD is constantly
> grinding.  I get the feeling that my system isn't using it's hardware
> optimally.  I would think that 512MB would be plenty of RAM for a
> PVR-500 FE/BE system.  However, during playback most of the time the
> HD never stops grinding.

Presumably it's the chattering of the head seeking, rather that the
whirr of the disks that's the problem?

The only time I've ever been bothered by disk noise it turned out to
be LCDProc writing loads of error messages into the messages log, so
you could check all the logs you can find, to see if any running
processes are filling them up with errors.

I'd agree that 512MB should be plenty of RAM, unless you're running a
very heavy window manager and/or doing other stuff besides recording
and watching.