[mythtv-users] MythArchive. Runs but I have serious problems.

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue May 30 15:11:51 UTC 2006

drescher0110-mythtv at yahoo.com wrote:
>> MythArchive unlike MythBurn tries to ensure that all created DVD are
>> fully DVD compatible. 480x480 is not a dvd compatible resolution so
>> that's why it's taking longer than MythBurn because the file is being
>> re-encoded. If you change your capture resolution to one of the dvd
>> compatible resolutions the re-encode won't take place so the whole
>> process will be quicker. Compatible resolutions for ntsc are  720x480,
>> 704x480, 352x480, 352x240.
>>

> I guess this explains why the dvds produced by mythburn play on my sony dvd player
> but not my toshiba...

Yep. Most likely.
> This brings me to a few questions. If no one knows I will submit these to the ivtv
> list. I am using the default resolution value for my hauppage card. How do I change
> this? The other question is will this make the files larger or reduce the quality of
> the video as right now I record at ~2.2GB / hour?

You can change the settings in mythtv. Its in the Recording Profiles
section of the settings. Just changing the capture resolution wont
change the file size. If any thing increasing the resolution with
produce better quality picture's. Changing the bitrate has the most
effect on the filesize.

>> The video DTS inconsistent warnings can be fixed by running the file
>> though mythtranscode --mpeg2 to clean up the time codes. Change the
>> setting at the top of the script to alway run mythranscode.
>>

> Could this mean there is a problem with my hardware / recording?

Its seems to be quite normal for PVR-x50 cards. One of the reasons for
mythtranscode --mpeg2 being developed was to fix these errors.
> John

Paul H.