[mythtv-users] [Mythtv-users] - Slightly OT - New TV or PlasmainAust

Chris Nicholls chris.nicholls at swiftdsl.com.au
Tue May 30 13:50:01 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Phill Edwards
Sent: Tuesday, 30 May 2006 11:10 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] [Mythtv-users] - Slightly OT - New TV or
PlasmainAust

> I may be able to help a little as I just bought a 50" plasma. After
looking
> around at a lot of options I ended up buying Soniq brand from JB HiFi. The
> thing that sold the deal was 2999 for 50 inches and it's a 1366 x 768, so
by
> Australian Standards that's hi-def. BTW in Australia anything over 575i is
> allowed to be advertised as hi-def. I payed the extra $300 for the  4
pixel
> 5 year warranty. Having watches it for a while I've seen better pictures
> (maybe 5% better) but usually at an extra $1000. Inputs are VGA DVI
> component video and s-video also can do PIP, the built in tuner is
analogue.

Yeah, I've seen the Soniq models at great prices but I've never heard
of them which is a worry. I bought a SAST DVD player a while back
which had great reviews and supported multiple playback formats - but
it's so obscure therer's no support for it and if you lose/break the
remote you're stuffed, no learning remotes understand its codes etc.
It's put me off these super-value, unknown brands, though. Good to
hear that you're happy with your's - it might make me reconsider. What
are its negative points, would you say?

Regards,
Phill

Negatives ....  occasionally I'll see colour gradients but it is very rare
and only on the most subtle colour graduations eg. Light blue to very light
blue. Soniq is JB HiFi's brand it uses aa Samsung panel.

And there is no HDMI input just DVI VGA Component (x2) video and S-Video.

The plus's 5 year warranty throught JB HiFi ( 4 pixels they'll replace the
panel) and the speakers are mounted along the bottom of the screen so the
panel is not to wide, and the front surround is black, looks good.

Chris