[mythtv-users] OT: Anyone running an ATI Radeon (9000) with a VGA-SCART adapter (PAL)

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue May 30 03:49:13 UTC 2006

It's very late.

I've been trying to get a VGA-SCART adapter working with my new master
backend machine - which is using an AGP ATI Radeon 9000 Pro video
card. As most ATI users know, ATI do not seem to be able to write a
decent driver to save their lives. As if the pain of having a Pundit-R
when its TV-Out support was broken in 04/05 was not enough, they have
broken the current fglrx drivers (8.20 is the last working release) so
that now Xv and PAL support is broken on TV-Out. I'm running 2.6.16
now with full livna and atrpms updates too, so I don't really want to
have to revert back to 2.6.14 if I don't have to. TV is a Sony
KV-36FS70. Currently running 8.23 driver from livna.

I decided to build a VGA-SCART cable to try and get around this issue
by using the VGA output directly, but I get a rolling screen with the
suggested PAL modeline from http://ryoandr.free.fr/english.html and a
couple others I've found Googling. I've tested the cable with a
continuity meter and it all checks out, and the TV supports RGB input.
I can make out the Fedora logo and username box on the login manager
screen, and the MFE menu in the correct colours, so the cable seems to
be OK.

I don't want to have to extract the machine from its new location - it
is plumbed in pretty well, and don't really want to have to install
Windows to run PowerStrip. TV-Out works (obv without Xv) over S-Video,
so I'm hoping there may be an easy way to extract the required
information to create a 720x576 modeline that I can use via VGA.

If I do end up having to extract the machine from its new home, I'll
probably buy a 5200 and be done with it. I feel a bit of a fool
checking ATIs release notes for their latest drivers and believing
them.

If anyone has working PAL modelines for use with an ATI Radeon 9000
card (or similar) and VGA-SCART lead, please let me know, and also
what kinds of tweaking I can do to the suggested modeline on the
ryoandr.free.fr site. A copy of the device and monitor sections from
xorg.conf file too would be a very useful comparison.

Can tiling be turned off in the ATI linux driver?

Thanks,
Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki: