[mythtv-users] HD: desparate, grasping at straws

Allan Wilson allanwilson at gmail.com
Tue May 30 03:40:49 UTC 2006

On 5/29/06, Marco Nelissen <marcone at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> >I just spend FOUR HOURS with PowerStrip and I am totally unable to come
> >up with a 540p or 1080i setting that will work with my Pioneer PRO-930HD
> >TV. I have also spent hours at other times Googling and not finding any
> >pre-defined mode lines for this TV. Are those the only options? If so
> >then I feel that I will have to give up on HD. which will mean that I
> >have wasted hundreds of dollars and dozens of hours (my desktop with a
> >PVR-500 worked fine as an SD backend; the only reason for building a new
> >server was to do HD).
> >
> >I have gotten settings that are within 0.04 of the correct scan rates,
> >but I still can't get anything other than "this signal is not supported"
> >when I plug the VGA cable into the TV. But the  Comcast box produces an
> >excellent 1080i signal over HDMI, so I know it's possible. Right now I
> >am horribly frustrated with nowhere to go.
>
> It's entirely possible that it only accepts 1080i on the HDMI input, but
> not on the VGA input. You might want to check the manual.
> However, since the panel's native resolution is 1024x768, you could also
> just pick that resolution, and let mythtv scale and deinterlace as needed.

There is a very good chance that your TV limits the resolution for the VGA
input. Could you get Windows or Powerstrip to show on the TV at all. What
does it say about the VGA input in your manual. I would go with DVI to HDMI
if you can't get the VGA to work. On my sony they limited the VGA input and
everything works great with the DVI. Hope we point you in the right
direction.

Allan