[mythtv-users] HDTV over S-video?

Matt Pilet mpilet at charter.net
Mon May 29 20:32:16 UTC 2006

I too looked into S-video for HD. Unfortunately S-video can only carry a
max of 576i (on average 480i). I own two PVR 150s and had high hopes for
my Mythtv box. These hopes were shattered when I purchased a fantastic
50" Samsung DLP and my cable provider, Charter Communications, provided
me with a new HD DVR with Firewire, S-video, HDMI, RGB Component Video,
etc... Had I stuck with a regular TV, I probably wouldn't mind too much
but Mythtv cannot come close to my cable provider's DVR in picture
quality. OK, I should clarify myself a little here... Under the current
available hardware Mythtv cannot provide the same quality as Cable co
DVRs. It makes me very angry that we all pay a lot of money for
cable/satellite but we're forced into using their hardware for the
majority of HD content out there. I purchased a firewire card thinking
that I could use it only to find that Charter uses 5c encryption on all
non-analog channels - can't someone crack this for illegitimate use ;)
It's not like we're trying to "steal" free cable, we are PAYING a
premium for it. The cable box should decrypt it and pass it on the
whatever device we're smart enough to throw together. I think a
"loophole" would be to build a card that has RGB component inputs. I
haven't been able to find any such card yet. I currently use RGB over
HDMI because I am VERY happy with the quality it provides. I would be
interested to here everyone's thoughts on this.

Thank you all for your time. Sorry to rant but this stuff really gets me
going.

-Matt