[mythtv-users] Backend quits functioning

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon May 29 15:53:43 UTC 2006

On 5/29/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> Reformatted post to conform to the list preference--posting replies
> inline or at the bottom instead of at top.  Please continue to do so for
> all replies.
>

> On 05/29/2006 11:16 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:

> >> Well, I had the same problem myself when I first started running 0.18.
> >>
> >> The key part is ... a little script
> >> to "kick" the backend back on.

> >> Now, I will say for the record that all these problems were lessened
> >> with 0.18.1, and disappeared completely with my upgrade to 0.19.
> >    First, thanks Gavin for the script idea. I may have to try that.
> >

> I really think the idea Gavin was trying to get across was the idea to
> upgrade.  The OP's problems all sound like issues solved in 0.19-fixes.
> 0.18 is old and is no longer under development.  So no matter how
> grievous a bug you find in 0.18, I'm pretty certain that it will not be
> committed to 0.18-fixes.
>
> The issue you describe (as well as possibly two of the OP's
> issues--although one may be due to a problem in mythfilldatabase) sounds
> a lot like issues caused by changes in MySQL 5.  If you're using MySQL 5
> with 0.18, you will continue to have serious database problems and the
> only way to "fix" them (without upgrading to 0.19) is to restart the
> backend whenever and as often as necessary (meaning your Myth box will
> /not/ be reliable).
>
> Besides, IMHO, if you're using MySQL 5 (released into production on Dec
> 4, 2005), you have no excuse to run MythTV 0.18.  MythTV 0.18 was
> released on Apr 15, 2005 and 0.18.1 was released on May 14, 2005
> (0.18.1).  As a matter of fact, the last commit on 0.18-fixes was less
> than a month after MySQL 5 went into production (Jan 3, 2006).
>
> In other words, 0.18.x is ancient.
>
> Mike

Mike,
   Thanks, but it's not so easy.

   It's a huge job to upgrade here. I've got a back-end machine with
two tuners and then 5 separate frontend machines accessing it. Since
the Myth devs decided that frontends and backends must match versions
it's too many machines to deal with all at once. I have a wife and kid
watching these things daily. It goes down and I'm in trouble! No
thanks!

   Possibly in July I'll get a break as they go off on vacation. Until
then I'm stuck.

   I'll hold out some hope that 0.19 fixes this crash problem.

Cheers,
Mark