[mythtv-users] Myth2Go - Reqeust for help

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon May 29 12:58:27 UTC 2006

Well, since my memorial day weekend got rained out, I've been working on
my backlog of things to do - I set up another Myth station at the house,
and started work on a Myth2Go set of scripts.

Here's the concept:

I have a small carputer that I use for Myth when on the road.  We load
it up with movies and let the kids watch movies.

The problem is that this small box also gets used in the house as a Myth
box when connected to the network.  So right now it detects if it is on
the home network, and if so it uses the house backend.  If it's on the
road, it uses its own MySQL database and backend.

We put movies on it manually and then run setup to get it to put those
movies into the database.  The problem is that we don't have any icons,
and any imdb data doesn't get transferred.

What I really want to do is automate the process of moving movies and
recordings from the home backend to the mobile backend.

This is the process so far:

1.  Pull all available movies and recordings from the home database.
2.  Build a dialog-like interface for deciding what movies and
recordings to take.
3.  Insert the data for those movies and recordings into the carputer
database.
4.  rsync those movies and recordings to the carputer.

(Since the carputer never records anything on its own, I don't have to
worry about syncing the two databases, I just yank-and-stuff.)

I could really use some help with 1.  I've looked at the database, and I
*think* I've identified what needs to be pulled, but I am not sure how
recordings work at all and what I need to pull from the database.  Also,
any suggestions for a scripting language with good MySQL support would
be welcome.  I've used PHP a bit, but only in CGI apps, so I'm not sure
how useful it would be here....  And I am useless at Perl.

Thanks,

--Yan