[mythtv-users] Advice required on low wattage combined system

Bert Santema atsantema at yahoo.com
Mon May 29 04:29:30 UTC 2006

No, you need to do a bit more ;) I'll give a *very* brief description.

Basicly you just have to make sure the powersaving bits are enabled in the kernel.

To check if your currently running kernel supports PowerNow!, do
   dmesg | grep powernow
Example output:
powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Athlon 64 / Opteron processors (version 1.00.09e)
powernow-k8:    0 : fid 0xc (2000 MHz), vid 0x2 (1500 mV)
powernow-k8:    1 : fid 0xa (1800 MHz), vid 0x6 (1400 mV)
powernow-k8:    2 : fid 0x2 (1000 MHz), vid 0x12 (1100 mV)

If not, you need to recompile your kernel.
When enabled, you then add a line to /etc/conf.d/local.start (or similar file if not using
Gentoo):
echo conservative > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

That should do it. You can check with
cat /proc/cpuinfo

A full guide with more details and examples can be found here, it's written for Gentoo, but should
work with other flavours as well: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_PowerNow%21

Cheers,
Bert