[mythtv-users] Strange failure my MythTV-setup

Bjarne Wichmann Petersen mythtv at mekanix.dk
Sun May 28 07:48:33 UTC 2006

My MythTV-setup have been running almost flawlessly for almost 6 month now (no
update to the system in that timeframe), but the last 2 weeks something odd
have happened twice.

The first thing I notice is, that I can hear heavy harddisk-activity. Then, if
I turn on the TV and play around with Myth it have a sluggish and slow
respond and playback might almost stop.

A check with "top" reveals that all RAM is used (256MB) and just as much
virtual memory is used as well. I'm guessing heavy swapping is in play which
would explain the slow system.

top also reveals that myth-backend takes the major share of the memory (150+
MB).

Checking the Myth-system-status shows that the most recent recordings have
failed to transcode, and playing back those recordings shows they have no
sounds in them.

Rebooting the system and everything works again, except those
no-sound-recordings still have no sound.

Now, my question is: Am I starting to see some hardware-failure? And what is
failing? Harddrive? CPU? Or my PVR 350? Or is this just some dormant bug that
have taken 6 month to "materialize"?

My system: An Siemens Activy 300 system w. 256 MB RAM, PVR 350 using TV-out w.
ivtv 0.4.0 and Breezy and MythTV 0.18.

Bjarne