[mythtv-users] Happauge Wintv IR LED

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun May 28 01:09:42 UTC 2006

On May 27, 2006, at 6:17 PM, BigDave Diode wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply -- the low level Hauppauge
> Wintv that I have has both an IR receiver and IR led.
> Hauppauge refers to the IR led as an "IRRemoteBlaster"
> and I have tested it under Windows to verify that the
> hardware does function to change the channels on the
> satellite receiver.  But only under Windows.
>
> The question though, becomes how to control this
> through mythtv?  Is it controlled by Lirc like a
> regular "IRBlaster?"  If I answer Knoppmyth that I
> have an IRBlaster, then it asks what COM port it's
> plugged into, which it isn't.
>
> And what channelchange script should be used to change
> the channel on a Dishnetwork 2700 receiver using this
> device?
>
> I'm running Knoppmyth and I've been unable to even
> locate contrib/channelchangers which is the directory
> that is supposed to contain the channel changing
> scripts.  I'm sure it's there somewhere...

It's been a while but there was a patched LIRC around somewhere on
the net that was able to use the Hauppauge IR blaster (transmitter).

As for the contrib directory, if you download the source tree and
unpack it you will find it there, I'm not sure how sensitive those
scripts are to the exact version of Myth you are running but they
seem pretty generic and so should work without too much trouble.

AFAIK there is no Dish Network receiver that has a serial port for
channel control, that seems to be a DirecTV feature only. I'm using a
MyBlaster and William Munson's excellent script to control a Dish
receiver, I had it running in 10 minutes and it has never failed me.

The MyBlaster approach (doesn't use LIRC) costs a little more for the
hardware but pays for itself in aggravation prevention IMHO.

http://www.mytvstore.com/mythtv_linux.html

Check out the above if you want more info on the MyBlaster approach.