[mythtv-users] no sound on some mythtv .mpg files when played in mplayer- help!

Roger James roger at beardandsandals.co.uk
Sat May 27 12:33:30 UTC 2006

The system drive on my myth box crashed late week end (chip burnt out on
driver interface board!). I have just rebuilt my system. Unfortunately my
database was on the system drive so now I have a whole load of .mpg files
with myth generated names that I would like to view to see what they
contain.

I have been going through them with mplayer, but I find that whilst I can
see the video, on a lot of them I get no sound.

I have both an analog (pvr350) and a digital capture card in my system
(nova-T). So I am wondering if this has something to do with it.

All the files have .mpg extensions none of them are .nuv.

It would appear that some files have audio that mplayer cannot handle.

1. Has anyone got any ideas what is causing this?

2. Can anyone recommend a command line tool for displaying information about
the files (for Debian/Linux)?

3. Can I fix this by transcoding the files, and if so how?

I am afraid I am a code hacker, not a video format expert :-(

Thanks