[mythtv-users] Is there any way to get more than 1 input from a satellite tuner?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat May 27 07:10:17 UTC 2006

On 05/27/2006 01:59 AM, Chad wrote:
> I'm in the US, and I'm wondering if there is any way that I'm not
> thinking of to get more than 1 channel from a satellite or digital
> cable (set top box) system?
>
> My *limited* knowledge of how this works:
>
> You have the signal come into the house via a coax cable.  Then, to
> decrypt the channels you subscribe to, you run that coax into a set
> top box, and then run a coax (or composite or svideo + RCA audio) from
> your set top box to your TV.  With a MythTV system, you run the coax,
> composite or svideo (and RCA audio) into your MythTV box (into
> something like a PVR-150) and record the output from that box.   So,
> is that it?

Yep.

>   Does that mean there is no possible way to get 2 channels
> at the same time from 1 set top box?

Yep (meaning no possible way--unless the STB has dual tuners and dual
outputs, at which point it's, for all practical purposes, two STB's (but
in one B)).

>   Assuming I have a PVR-500, can
> anyone tell me of a setup they have that differs from the above?

If using cable, the FCC requires the cable company to provide
unencrypted analog local channels, so you could just plug a cable into
the PVR-500 tuner and it would work for those and any other unencrypted
analog channels transmitted over the line (some companies provide most
channels, others provide only the locals).  If using satellite, you have
to get two STB's.

Mike