[mythtv-users] Is there any way to get more than 1 input from a satellite tuner?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sat May 27 05:59:44 UTC 2006

Hello!

I'm in the US, and I'm wondering if there is any way that I'm not
thinking of to get more than 1 channel from a satellite or digital
cable (set top box) system?

My *limited* knowledge of how this works:

You have the signal come into the house via a coax cable.  Then, to
decrypt the channels you subscribe to, you run that coax into a set
top box, and then run a coax (or composite or svideo + RCA audio) from
your set top box to your TV.  With a MythTV system, you run the coax,
composite or svideo (and RCA audio) into your MythTV box (into
something like a PVR-150) and record the output from that box.   So,
is that it?  Does that mean there is no possible way to get 2 channels
at the same time from 1 set top box?  Assuming I have a PVR-500, can
anyone tell me of a setup they have that differs from the above?

I'm just curious, I think that's a big difference between something
like the dual tuner Tivo boxes and a dual tuner mythtv system; a
second set top box is necessary.

Thanks!

Chad