[mythtv-users] Lossless transcoding with commercial cutting increasing the size of the file.

Mache Creeger mache at creeger.com
Fri May 26 14:27:38 UTC 2006

In a typical hour show, you have 20 minutes of commercials and 40
minutes of show.  So in 30 minutes you should have in or around 10
minutes of commercials.  The automatic commercial flagging does about
an 85% job but it misses some stuff.  You really need to go over it manually.

So, I am assuming that you are not going over it manually and are
relying on automatic flagging.  If true you should read up on
this.  In summary, you go into edit mode with the "E" command while
watching the recording, "Z" to load the cut list, and other various
keys to set and reset the cut points.  Once you have the cuts the way
you want them, you get out of edit and go to play by pressing "E"
again and then kick off the transcode by pressing "X".   For an hour
show the transcode should complete in about 5-10 minutes.  You should
not have to have nuv lying around and should be able to stay
completely in mpeg.

-- Mache Creeger