[mythtv-users] An idea for mythtv developers (especially Myth Video)

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Thu May 25 16:10:02 UTC 2006

On May 25, 2006, at 08.38, john sturgeon wrote:

> On 5/24/06, Ivan Kowalenko <ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On May 24, 2006, at 14.02, john sturgeon wrote:
>>
>>> If you had a DVD with a manifest (in XML) of the files, and their
>>> metadata, you could write a script to mount the dvd (if it's not
>>> mounted),
>>
>> That feature is already a part of MythTV... kinda. Myth will detect
>> if a disc has been inserted, and will mount it. It will also
>> determine if the disc is a VCD, DVD-Video, Audio, or Data disc, and
>> handle them appropriately. All that's needed in this case, is for the
>> XML to be parsed. The only problem is, I have yet to figure out how
>> to UNmount a disc inside Myth.
>
> you can map a button on your remote to 'eject' the disc, or you can
> create a menu entry which does EXEC eject.

I probably should do that...

>>> parse the XML file and insert the entries into the
>>> 'videometadata'  table.  You could add a menu entry the the 'Optical
>>> Disks' menu to execute the script (ala:
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Menu_theme_development_guide),
>>> then jump to MythVideo.
>>>
>>> Then you would be able to 'load' the DVD, and have the shows show up
>>> in MythVideo.
>>
>> I think you just described the original idea ;)
>>

>> I'd also like to see support of MKV Metadata, but I'll settle for
>> ANYTHING that is an improvement over the existing system. One more
>> thing to tackle would be generating the XML data in the first place.
>> I suppose you could create it by hand, but it could be nifty to be
>> able to grab the metadata out of mythconverg, and embed that data
>> into the DVD XML manifest.
>
> You could extract the data from the videometadata table into a .sql
> file which can be saved on the DVD.  It doesn't have to be XML.  Then
> when you load the DVD, you can execute the .sql file, which would
> re-insert the records into the videometadata table.

Perfect, but I suppose the biggest thing to do now, is to rig up
MythVideo to read those files, and do this things, period.

However, I'd suppose that using XML might be preferable. If we were
to use XML, it's possible to see this data being pulled into other
projects, such as XBMC (which already has been eyed by a few Myth
users).