[mythtv-users] HD/SD Transcoding setup

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 25 14:50:54 UTC 2006

On 05/25/2006 01:41 AM, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
> On May 24, 2006, at 22.04, Greg Mitchell wrote:
>> How do those of you with firewire cable boxes have your transcoding
>> set up?
>>
>> I'd like to be able to transcode HD differently than SD, but I
>> can't for
>> the life of me figure out how to do it, short of constantly switching
>> settings back and forth.
>>
> What about just creating a special user job? Assign the transcode
> command to something like User Job 4, and then set User Job 4 to
> execute on every HD recording. True, you'll probably have to set the
> user job for every recording rule, but it should get the job done.

At that point, you could just specify the transcoder in the recording
rule (Autodetect, High/Medium/Low Quality).  However, it assumes that
your HDTV channels have different callsigns than their SDTV equivalents
(to allow you to specify a different rule depending on which source was
used to record).

Mike