[mythtv-users] Newbie stuck on "Problem finding starting channel"

Roger crosseyedpenguin at cox.net
Wed May 24 21:35:03 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am trying to get mythtv running on Fedora Core 4 with an ATI HDTV
wonder card.  I have gone thru the installation and backend , frontend,
and mythfilldatabase.  I have data in the database and the channel
scanner has recognized the local TV stations.

When I try to watch live TV, I am getting the messages:

'''
TVRec(1): Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
TVRec(1) Error: Problem finding starting channel, setting to a default
of '3'.
Channel(/dev/video0) Error: SetInputAndFormat(0, ATSC)
while setting format (v4l v2)
Channel(/dev/video0): SetInputAndFormat(0,ATSC)
Setting video mode with version 1 worked
Channel)/dev/video0): CheckChannel failed. Please verify channel "3" in
the "mythtv-setup" channel Editor.
TVRec(10 Error: Failed to set channel to 3.
TVRec(1) Error: Channel: '' was not found in the database.
Most likely, your DefaultTVChannel is wrong.
Could not start livetv
'''

I restarted mythtv-setup and did the channel scan again.  I get the
message "Timeout Scanning ATSC Channel x - no tables" for the local
channels that should be found.  Unavailable channels report "Timeout
Scanning ATSC Channel x - no signal". No channel list appears. There is
a local 3_1 channel, but it is a weak signal and it got a "no signal"
message.

I reran mythfilldatabase, and when I restart mythtv-setup, the channel
list appears, including a channel "3_1", but no "3".  When I try to exit
mythtv-setup, I get an error message "Card  (type Television) is set to
start on channel 3, which does not exist.  Do you want to fix this
problem?"  If I choose "Yes please" I don't know what to do to fix the
problem -- I would like to change the default or starting channel to
8_1. When I try to watch live TV, I get a repeat of the above message.

Roger