[mythtv-users] playback performance regression: show of hands (Allan Wilson)

Leighton Brough brough at baremetalsoft.com
Wed May 24 12:52:23 UTC 2006

Guy Paddock wrote:
>>> I too had the same problem with HD content. Are you using the
>>> 'denoise3d' playback filter? I suspect this has changed and is the cause
>>> of the problem.
>>> Now I'm just using the kernel deinterlacing filter, and the CPU
>>> consumption is totally reasonable again.
>>>

> I'm definitely running without deinterlace or filtering on an AMD Athlon XP
> 3200+ with Standard video mode, and it's playing back only 2-3 seconds of
> video, then studdering, then playing back another 2-3 seconds, with the log
> filling with "NVP: Prebuffering Pause" each time, every so often saying
> "NVP: Video leading by 7 frames, slowing down". Using the "Use video as
> timebase" helps a bit, but it still studders. Playback with VLC or xine of
> the same content is fine.
>
> If I switch to XVmC, it's even worse; the audio gets far more garbled and
> the video only plays in segments of 1-2 seconds. I'm using the nVidia
> drivers, 8756 I believe (the latest the wiki recommends).

Addressing the issue of CPU usage specifically, I found changing the
filters fixed it for me.

However I totally agree that 0.19 HD playback is worse than 0.18 (even
when CPU usage appears to be at reasonable levels). I also get the same
messages described above in the front end log. This is without XvMC
(which I do not use).

I think maybe these are two separate issues.

Leighton