[mythtv-users] Samba for LiveTV?

Andy Foster fostandy at gmail.com
Mon May 22 23:17:22 UTC 2006

On 5/22/06, Fred Squires <fsquires at gmail.com> wrote:
> ... from what I understand DSMyth provides 2 things a
> .nuv codec, which you don't need because you're using a hardware encoder,
> and the myth:// URI handler.  Which basically just tells windows to open
> myth:// URI links with Media player or VLC or whatever you want, similar to
> the way that it knows to use Firefox to open http:// links or ftp:// in
> whatever ftp program/web browser you want.

this of course basically leads to the crux of what I've pondered for a
while now: getting windows to recognise myth:// URI's and dispatch
them to an application is one thing. Getting that application itself
to recognise the myth:// URI seems like an entirely different matter.
I would really really really really like to know how to achieve the
latter, or for someone to correct my skewed understanding.

To put it another way: how does the media player of choice (vlc, wmp,
mpc, zplayer, whatever) become able to distinguish myth:// uri's from
something nonsensical like asdfasdf:// ? I do not think these players
have been designed with the ability to handle myth:// uris in the same
way firefox has been for http:// etc.