[mythtv-users] Comcast / San Francisco and pcHDTV 3000

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Mon May 22 23:14:15 UTC 2006

Steven Adeff wrote:
> Could be. It may be you just need to strengthen the signal, in which
> case a good signal amp that covers the digital channel frequencies
> should work fine,
> http://www.cabletvamps.com/drop%20amps.htm
>
> I just purchased a  EDA-FT08100 to power my 4 tuners+cablemodem for
> ~$65 shipped from http://www.tvcinc.com they don't seem to deal with
> direct to consumer purchases, though Robin Page was able to help me
> get one ordered and shipped. I haven't received it yet, but I was
> given their information from someone that purchased through them a
> while ago and was positive about the experience.

A ChannelPlus DA-500A 18dB amplifier* is all the amp a typical single
family residence should ever need. If you need more gain than that at
the demarc, the cable company needs to rebalance the drops and/or adjust
their amps.

If you DO have a noise problem, an amp will only make tuning worse if
not impossible. Verify and solve any noise issues before adding any
gain. 1st--Inspect analog cable channels for noise. 2nd--Find the coax
coming from the cableco. Feed that directly to the ANT in on a TV.
Inspect the analog channels again. You may see an improvement (less
noise). If you do, your cabling needs to be redesigned, repaired and/or
replaced. If not, the cableco needs to fix a compromised termination nearby.

If your inside wiring is introducing noise, then you are responsible for
cleaning that up. This can be a hassle and I'll be happy to help isolate
further but it would be wise to see if yours is an inside or outside
problem. Could you try the two steps above and report back? Remember to
disconnect your entire house from the main cable feed on part 2. It
helps to have a spare 25 or 50 foot length of RG-6 quad-shield coax to
run around with.

* Can be found on Amazon for exactly what I pay through distribution.