[mythtv-users] No On Screen Display (OSD)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon May 22 17:43:16 UTC 2006

On 5/22/06, Greg Ferreri <gferreri at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/22/06, Ronald Pijnacker <pijnacker at dse.nl> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Recently I setup a new Myth installation on a Fedora Core 5 box using
> yum.
> > > Most things were working with this great, however one major thing
> (diseqc
> > > for my satellites) was not, so I had to download the source and patch
> > > dvbdiseqc.cpp to make this work.
> > >
> > > However, with this freshly compiled version there is no on screen
> display.
> > > When I press "i" when watching TV simply nothing happens.  Furthermore,
> even
> > > when typing a number for a channel nothing happens.  If I press "m"
> though,
> > > it does bring up the screen where I can choose program guide and from
> here I
> > > can see the channels and change them.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know why this would happen?  This morning I compiled another
> > > version straight from source without the patch, but I'm still getting
> the
> > > same problems.
> >
> > Could it be that the OSD theme that you are using is not included in the
> > new installation?
> >
> >         Ronald.
> I had this exact same problem, which I just fixed over the weekend.  I'm not
> 100% sure what the underlying problem was, but I took two steps to solve it:
>
> 1. I upgraded my nVidia driver to the latest version from the nVidia
> website.
> 2. I rebuilt my mythtv installation making sure to enable XvMC when running
> ./configure
>
> After taking these steps I noticed that the OSD came back to life.  YMMV,
> but I would check these two areas.

neither of those should have affected it. Recompiling most likely did.

I'd check that your have an OSD theme installed (myththemes) and that
it is the one Myth is looking for. Check your frontend logs for any
errors. Make sure the Themes are readable by the user running
mythfrontend.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!