[mythtv-users] TV output quality via VGA/HDMI

Don Bossung donald at bossung.net
Sun May 21 20:20:15 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I have an Intel 845GVE, 2.4Celeron, onboard video (linux uses i810 driver),
Hauppauge pvr 150 mce.

I have setup myth 0.19 on FC4 and all woks well on my 17" monitor. When I go
to my LCD, quality is not as good as the monitor or the output from my cable
box.

My TV is a 37" Olevia LCD that has VGA and HDMI input.

When I hook up the computer to the LCD, run X and start mythfrontend the
output is set to 4:3 but the tv output fills then enter 16:9 screen and
looks just like 'zoomed' 4:3. I have tried the 'w' key to cycle through
different output settings but none give me the output I want. Not a very
good looking quality. When I use the cable box to  watch 4:3 I get a
grey/black bar on the left and right and the 4:3 picture is of higher
quality.

My questions are this

Is there something in myth that I can use to change the output of the live
tv so it scales down to the 4:3 with the grey bars like I see from the cable
box?

Would using a video card (ie some variant of the 5200) with dvi out to the
hdmi input on the tv help?

Will the Hauppauge 250 (or some other video capture card) give better
quality?

BTW, the X output to the lcd is outstanding quality but I do have a small
black bar on the left and loose some of the image on the right. If you have
any ideas or forums that might help me fix this, that would be great.

Thanks

Don