[mythtv-users] Standalone VFD/LCD recommendations?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sun May 21 16:19:31 UTC 2006

On 5/21/06, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for recommendations on an add-on VFD or LCD display for my
> MythTV box. Most of the relevant threads I've looked at deal with
> cases with built-in displays, unfortunately. My criteria:
>
> * Fits into a single 5.25" drive bay. (But if the best solution turns
>   out to be a "velcro on the front of the case" approach I'm OK with
>   it.)
> * As bright and readable 8' away as possible for the dark. (Probably
>   means a VFD rather than an LCD, even a backlit one.)
> * As many lines and columns as is practical.
> * Prebuilt; I don't want to have to solder.
> * Usable hard buttons and status lights (a red light to indicate that
>   a recording is occurring, for example) would be nice, but not
>   essential.
> * Cheap as possible, but I'm willing to shell out a bit for the right
>   display.
> * I don't need an IR sensor.
>
> Here's what I've found so far:
>
> * When I last asked this back in December both of the responses
>   suggested the Soundgraph Imon, which a) contans an IR sensor I don't
>   need and b) has only a 16x2 screen.
>
> * The four-line screens at
>   <URL:http://www.matrixorbital.com/index.php?cName=lcd-character-vfds>
>   seem ideal, but the company doesn't seem to sell any drive bay
>   inserts that four-line screens fit into. (They're also pricey, but,
>   again, if they're otherwise ideal I'm willing to pay up for
>   quality.)
>
> * Crystalfontz (<URL:http://www.crystalfontz.com/>) has a very useful
>   build-your-own drive-bay kit page on its Website, but the 20x4
>   displays available through it are all LCDs and neither of the two
>   color choices seems very legible across even a small living
>   room. If I'm mistaken please let me know; so far this seems my best
>   bet otherwise.

I have what you are talking about....

CFA635:

http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/635/index.html

Purchased as part of a "drive bay" kit: (note plastic is cheaper than aluminum)

http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/select_kit.html

It works well, *but* you are correct in that it is hard to read from
more than eight feet away.  I also never got around to getting it's
arrow keys working within Myth.

John