[mythtv-users] Standalone VFD/LCD recommendations?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sun May 21 09:06:45 UTC 2006

I'm looking for recommendations on an add-on VFD or LCD display for my
MythTV box. Most of the relevant threads I've looked at deal with
cases with built-in displays, unfortunately. My criteria:

* Fits into a single 5.25" drive bay. (But if the best solution turns
  out to be a "velcro on the front of the case" approach I'm OK with
  it.)
* As bright and readable 8' away as possible for the dark. (Probably
  means a VFD rather than an LCD, even a backlit one.)
* As many lines and columns as is practical.
* Prebuilt; I don't want to have to solder.
* Usable hard buttons and status lights (a red light to indicate that
  a recording is occurring, for example) would be nice, but not
  essential.
* Cheap as possible, but I'm willing to shell out a bit for the right
  display.
* I don't need an IR sensor.

Here's what I've found so far:

* When I last asked this back in December both of the responses
  suggested the Soundgraph Imon, which a) contans an IR sensor I don't
  need and b) has only a 16x2 screen.

* The four-line screens at
  <URL:http://www.matrixorbital.com/index.php?cName=lcd-character-vfds>
  seem ideal, but the company doesn't seem to sell any drive bay
  inserts that four-line screens fit into. (They're also pricey, but,
  again, if they're otherwise ideal I'm willing to pay up for
  quality.)

* Crystalfontz (<URL:http://www.crystalfontz.com/>) has a very useful
  build-your-own drive-bay kit page on its Website, but the 20x4
  displays available through it are all LCDs and neither of the two
  color choices seems very legible across even a small living
  room. If I'm mistaken please let me know; so far this seems my best
  bet otherwise.

Any other ideas? (Honestly, with these $100+ prices, I almost might as
well go the small-LCD monitor, dual-head route; I have a 17" I can put
to use!)