[mythtv-users] lossless transcode with .18

John Gage ericandjacksdad at gmail.com
Sat May 20 21:49:04 UTC 2006

I am using .18 and like it just fine.  I may upgrade to .19 at some point
but for now, I've been sitting back and enjoying what I have.  However, that
said I'd like to archive some files to DVD so I can watch them later.  I
have a PVR350 which produces MPEG2 .nuv files.  So far, I've been using
nuv2dvd which works just great.  The only thing missing is having the
commercials removed.  I can use the video editor to load and make edits (if
needed) to the cutlist and transcode the file to permanently remove the
commercials but that will produce an MPEG4 file which is not good for
nuv2dvd.  I can retranscode it back to MPEG2 but the now triple encoding
would probably take a bite out of the quality of the video.  I have heard
that there's a lossless MPEG2 to MPEG2 trancode that can be used to zap the
cutlist but I'm thinking that's only available in .19.  Is that correct?  Is
there some what to do a lossless transcode in .18?

BTW, I have tried burning the MPEG4 to DVD and it burns just fine but my
stupid DVD player will not play it :-(.  So I'm going to see what I can do
in MPEG2 land.

TIA,

John