[mythtv-users] Svideo Tearing

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Sat May 20 12:19:18 UTC 2006

Mache Creeger wrote:
> While mplayer SD video as viewed on my CRT is excellent, I get
> tearing during fast pans in clone mode viewing SD video through
> svideo-out on a standard TV.  I have the same results with both a
> GeForce FX 5500 and GeForce FX 6200.  I have tried repeatedly to get
> a single response from the Nvidia support forum but have been
> unsuccessful to date.  I have a WinTV PVR 500 capture card and the
> mpg files it generates are excellent.  This has been proven by
> watching the video on a Windows box using Windows Media Player and a
> Samba mount of the file.
>
> I need to demonstrate to my spouse that my MythTV investment is
> worthwhile.  The tearing annoys her and while the video quality on a
> PC is excellent, watching shows using Tapeworm on her PC will not cut
> it for her.  I am running all the most recent versions of
> MythTV.  Any help would be most appreciated.
>
> My xorg.conf and .nvidia-settings-rc files are listed below.  I am
> running FC5, 2111 kernel, and the 8756 nvidia driver.
>
> -- Mache Creeger

> /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> # XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config
> # Section "DRI"
> #       Group        0
> #       Mode         0666
> # EndSection
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>          Identifier     "Default Layout"
>          Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>          InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>          InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Files"
>
> # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
> # By default, a font server independent of the X server is
> # used to render fonts.
>          ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
>          ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
>          FontPath     "unix/:7100"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
>          Load  "dbe"
>          Load  "extmod"
>          Load  "fbdevhw"
>          Load  "record"
>          Load  "freetype"
>          Load  "type1"
>          Load  "glx"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>
> # Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
> #       Option  "Xleds"         "1 2 3"
> # To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
> #       Option  "XkbDisable"
> # To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
> # lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
> # keyboard, you will probably want to use:
> #       Option  "XkbModel"      "pc102"
> # If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
> #       Option  "XkbModel"      "microsoft"
> #
> # Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
> # For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
> [...]

It's just a guess, but "0/XVideoBlitterSyncToVBlank=0" might be
relevant. See if you can enable that option. I'm not sure what the
difference between Xvideo textures and blitter is or what MythTV uses.

Also, looking in nvidia-settings on my desktop (which currently only has
a VGA CRT connected), I see the setting "Sync to this display device,"
which seems to correspond to your XVideoSyncToDisplay attribute. It
seems to me that you need to select the TV as the display to sync to,
but I don't know what "256" means.

Jonathan Rogers