[mythtv-users] DVB-S in the UK

Paul Barker myth at sixtimesnine.net
Fri May 19 15:47:19 EDT 2006

Graham Wood wrote:

>Which channels are available via DVB-S?  And where did you get the card from?
>
>It's something I was looking at anyway (we're about to get Sky HD fitted, and I could unplug
>the second box to get a myth solution if it gave me enough channels *grin*)
>
>Thanks,
>
>Graham

Hi Graham

It's a Hauppauge WinTV Nova-S. You can see details here:
http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/products/data_novasplus.html

The card picks up all free to air channels on Astra 28E. I already have
a PVR-250 hooked up to a SD digibox which is my primary tuner so I get
the encrypted stuff from there. The second card is really just to help
out with schedule clashes or to let me watch live TV when a recording is
ongoing.

You can see a list of what Astra 28E carries as free to air here :
http://www.ses-astra.com/backoffice/findAChannel_en/index.php I can't
vouch for them all though as last night I was testing with just BBC 1
North East in my channels.conf.

If it's any encouragement this card was a breeze to install under FC5
and I guess it would be the same under any recent kernel.

Cheers
Paul