[mythtv-users] mpg files are created rw for user mythtv only

Josh Burks dotnofoolin at gmail.com
Thu May 18 09:03:02 EDT 2006

On 5/18/06, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:
> > By default the /myth/tv has no sticky bit set and mythtv should create files
> > "-rw-r--r--" by default.
> > .nuv files are set that way, .mpg files don't.
> > So one would guess there is a setting in mythconverg which does this.
> > However I can't find it :(
>
> Why do you have a mixture of mpg and nuv files?
>
>     - different capture cards?
>     - capturing nuv and transcoding into mpg?
>
> maybe there's a clue in there somewhere.

Or maybe he upgraded from a version that created mpeg files with the
nuv extension (such as version 0.18 and previous did), and kept his
old recordings.

Back on topic, I've been playing around with umask lately because my
backend runs as root and creates -rw-r--r-- (644) files by default,
and I want them -rw-rw-rw- (666) instead. I believe that umask 000
will make it so, because by default everything is umasked as 022 (at
least on my system).

Also, I don't believe the sticky bit will help, it was there to
prevent others from deleting your files, and some kernels don't even
use it any more (or in the same manner).

It doesn't seem to work very well though, maybe it just didn't survive
a reboot :(

Josh