[mythtv-users] Sound Syncronization Problems in Recording Playback ONLY

Steve Skarda steveskarda at gmail.com
Thu May 18 07:44:04 EDT 2006

On 5/18/06, Douglas Wagner <douglasw0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just did a little mental backflip and came up with something...
>
> Reading another thread got me thinking...it hadn't occured to me that
> Digital !> through is HD...typically just prime time on major networks (for over the
> air).  Given that all of my KIDS shows come in without a hitch and all of MY
> shows (which are all prime time major network shows...like Alias, Gray's
> Anatomy, etc...) are off when played through Myth TV's internal player...
>
> Could it be something having to do with HD content?  Is there maybe an
> issue with AC3 sound in my setup? (HD programming comes across with
> digital/encoded sound where as non HD programs I assume do not?)
>
> Grasping at straws here...
>
> --Dougla

If you ever do solve this, please report back what you have learned.   I
have similar problems (possibly identical) and would love to find out what
you learn.  I can tell you that I have worked with kernel latency and
real-time scheduling and made no progress.  I have also tried spdif and
analog out.   AC3 passthrough doesn't affect the problem either.  I have
posted a few times but never found a solution.   I have Fusion Gold HDTV
cards running Myth 0.19 on Ubuntu Dapper.   Only small help I found so far
was to turn off A/V sync on my receiver.  That was actually making the
problem worse by adding delay to all audio.   For me, PBS is much worse,
SDTV is usually fine, and HDTV usually has audio 200-300 mS behind video.