[mythtv-users] Cannot get XVMC to work?

Timothy Braje tbraje at myvest.com
Thu May 18 02:02:01 UTC 2006

Timothy Braje wrote:
> I did a little experiment.  When I am watching LiveTV, with XvMC turned
> on, the only load on the system is:
> 	mythfrontend: 30%
>
> When I cycle through channels in browse mode (not actually changing
> channels, just making the OSD come up)
>
> 	mythfrontend: 100%
>
> When I watch the same thing, with XvMC turned off:
> 	mythfrontend: 50%
> 	Xorg: 20%
>
> When I bring up the OSD:
> 	mythfrontend: 60%
> 	Xorg: 20%
>
> It appears that the OSD doesn't work well with XvMC.  I have not yet
> tried the hack for getting color OSD with XvMC.  I will try that at some
> point and see if that has any affect on the CPU usage.
>
> I have a Nvidia PCX 5300 card.
>
> Tim

So, I did one final test.  I implemented the greyscale OSD fix.  It
fixed the greyscale OSD problem, and seems to have improved the problems
with staticy sound when the OSD is being displayed, but it does not
really fix the problem.  With the OSD up, the frontend uses 60% CPU, and
Xorg uses about 35%.  I guess XvMC and the OSD just don't work very well
together.

Tim