[mythtv-users] PVR-350 vs. Geforce 5200/PVR-150

Chris Henderson jchendo at gmail.com
Wed May 17 04:44:43 UTC 2006

> > #2, you can get an MCE version of the 150 (no remote) and save some $$
> > $, which you can use to get more hard disk space, you will need it :-)
> >
> > Right now, I have a second hard disk (13 GB!!!) in LVM which I
> > think I'll have to make it disappear because I don't have space for
> > a third drive.
>
> In this day and age a 13GB drive is useful perhaps for just your OS,
> but not for any serious video storage. If your drive slots are
> limited it can be a waste of space.

Please bear in mind  that a  SD video file  is 4-6 gb per hour  BEFORE
transcoding.

Throw  the  13gb HDD and get another 50gb.

(I can't believe I said that, my first hard drive was 10MB)

 I am with you here. My first computer was 486 dx 66 with 1gb drive. wowoi
could never fill that. famous last words.

Bear in mind that my response was an opinion, not a statement of
> fact. There are those who use 350s very successfully, but IMHO there
> are more reasons to use a standalone video card, and the 5200 is
> about the best way to go, again check past threads as this has been
> debated endlessly.

please dont forget that you could go for one of the digital TV cards that
are available. I guess thats if you have or can get digital tv.

CH