[mythtv-users] PVR-350 vs. Geforce 5200/PVR-150

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed May 17 04:29:27 UTC 2006

On May 16, 2006, at 10:05 PM, Varanger wrote:

> #2, you can get an MCE version of the 150 (no remote) and save some $$
> $, which you can use to get more hard disk space, you will need it :-)
>
> Right now, I have a second hard disk (13 GB!!!) in LVM which I
> think I'll have to make it disappear because I don't have space for
> a third drive.

In this day and age a 13GB drive is useful perhaps for just your OS,
but not for any serious video storage. If your drive slots are
limited it can be a waste of space.

(I can't believe I said that, my first hard drive was 10MB)

> I'll start buying the Geforce 5200 first. Do you think I will be
> able to use the tv-out feature without a monitor???
>
> I have a Philips DWide Widescreen 5-year-old TV with s-video input.

Check the history of this list, there has been a lot of info about
using the TV out of nVidia cards. The main thing is that you normally
have to use nVidia's proprietary drivers, but it can be done pretty
easily.

It is probably easier to use a monitor for your initial setup if you
can, but the cards can detect if only a TV set is connected and deal
with that (again assuming the use of nVidia's drivers).

Bear in mind that my response was an opinion, not a statement of
fact. There are those who use 350s very successfully, but IMHO there
are more reasons to use a standalone video card, and the 5200 is
about the best way to go, again check past threads as this has been
debated endlessly.