[mythtv-users] Netbooting Fedora Core 5

Chris Henderson jchendo at gmail.com
Tue May 16 22:01:51 EDT 2006

> My current setup is a fedora core 5 box with a large hard drive sitting
> under my tv. I'm looking for a way to netboot this entire setup from my
> server. Space isn't an issue, I'd just need to netboot the myth box and
> have a copy of its entire hard drive on the server to mount over nfs. Has
> anyone done anything like this before? My server is running sarge, and
> googling hasn't really turned anything. I've seen the fedora core
> system-config-netboot package but I really just want a copy of myths
> filesystem stored on the system and that mounted over the network. Any
> ideas?

There is a lot of info on netbooting, And Ihave read most of it.
What i got out of it was "Ohhh my god, this is not for the faint of hart or
the Noob"

For what i can gather is that most people think on netbooting to do away
with the HDD noise. I have basically seen two usable ideas.
1. and the most popular is to use a CF (compact flash)card to hold read only
copy of the operating system. Then plug this into a cheap CF to IDE
converter.
this has the advantage of producing no heat and no noise. They say that this
works a treat and if you use a low powered frontend , like a  Epia M
motherboard, most come with the adaptor to boot directly from the CF card.

2. Is to do a PXE boot or net boot.
Of everything i have seen written, and there is a bit on this list, every
one says it can be done, PXE that is, but CF card is easier.

What i understand it to be is nothing more than the OS being written to a CF
card that is pretending to be and IDE drive. I think they then make it read
only to save the CF card, as they don't like being written to that often.

Don't get me wrong if you can get it to work pleas Post here a detailed how
to and we can all benefit. I have not been able to get it to work on the PXE
front and i am now saving for a the required hardware to try the CF card low
powered front end route.

Hope this helps.