[mythtv-users] [OT] Re: coax vs. composite

Fedor Pikus fpikus at gmail.com
Tue May 16 13:23:28 EDT 2006

On 5/16/06, Meatwad <meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I can't find the URL of it now, but one company was selling a gold
> plated (or something)
> >> power cable to help get a better result out of your amp.
> >>
> >> I dread to think if anyone's got a more extreme example :)
> >>

> >       http://www.harmonictech.com/products/magic_power.html
> >
> >       ... just as a case in point.  That's right, folks... $1200 for a 1
> > meter POWER CORD!  You need 3 meters?  That's $2800.
>
> $2800 is entry level in some cases. There are a number of boutique
> power/interconnect manufacturers that tout their own particular flavor
> of fairy dust. When attending trade shows, we snigger when these cables
> are spotted in the luxury hotel suites showcasing the world's highest
> high-end gear. Truly amazing what marketing people will do in front of a
>   typically scientific audience.

Because it's only the last meter that matters. The corroded blackened copper
wiring  in the wall connected by twist-on caps inside junction boxes and
loosely attached to the outlet by a steel screw with zink washer does not
degrade power or gather noise in any way, because, umm.... it's protected by
the wall... yeah, that's it.

--
Fedor G Pikus (fpikus at gmail.com)
http://www.pikus.net