[mythtv-users] coax vs. composite

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue May 16 12:36:29 EDT 2006

On May 16, 2006, at 10:13 AM, John Brooks wrote:

> On 5/16/06, Cory Papenfuss <papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu> wrote:
> > I can dig that much. How do we figure out the signal quality, then?
> >
>         Simple... it's all crap.  As was pointed out before, to
> have more
> than crap costs more than anyone but broadcasters can pay.  They're
> *required* to have clean, standards-compliant signals.
>

> ... so they put in the minimal amount of effort necessary to
> comply? Makes sense, I guess. The average consumer doesn't seem to
> notice- heck, I guess it took me long enough.

It wasn't that way long ago.

CBS News had some footage of the 1968 Democratic Convention (In
Chigago for those who don't remember). It was great stuff (as far as
broadcasters are concerned), police cracking heads and even more
obvious cases of law-breaking by those sworn to uphold it.

CBS did not air that footage because it contained a "technical flaw".
I saw the footage years later and had to look hard to see what the
"flaw" was: maybe a 3% or 4% AC hum in the video, probably not
noticeable to most viewers. Technical standards meant something in
those days.

Of course the possibility of a fine for "out of standard" video
helped this view along.

No broadcaster would hesitate to air that footage today, and you know
what changed it: CNN

Ted Turner proved to the world that the public would accept less-than-
perfect video. Nowadays "amateur video" is accepted, even solicited
and paid for, by every major (and minor) network. Uncorrected slant-
track VCRs are fed to air without hesitation (well nowadays not so
much, but when time base correctors were $20,000 items that meant
something).

I saw a demonstration of HD TV many years ago at O'Hare Airport (when
HD was almost unknown to the public). Were the people wowed by the
resolution, the crispness, the fine detail? No, the comment I heard
most was "wow, it's wide".

Yuppie and Yuppette sitting on their couch are happy with VHS
quality, they are not demanding anything better, to the point where
the government was moved to force it on consumers at the behest of
Sony et al, because quality doesn't and never will sell.

As a group folks on this list are better than most, but picture
quality is still not their primary goal.