[mythtv-users] [OT] coax vs. composite

Gary Dezern gary at garyndenise.org
Tue May 16 12:29:47 EDT 2006

>> > Monster "gold plated" optical S/PDIF cables.
>>
>> Yeah - gold plating digital cables is the peak of
brilliance*.

> Well, maybe not.
>
> As
noted, the issue with gold-plated connectors is that they're more
> likely to resist corrosion -- and lots of home-theatre installs are
put
> in and never touched.  So whether the signal is digital or
analog isn't
> as important.

I might jump at that if we
were talking about digital coax... For optical, however, corrosion is a
non-issue.  I doubt my toslink cables (which seem to be made from
fiber optic, plastic, and a plastic rubbery coating) will do any worse
than something gold plated.

On the other hand, the gold plated
ones would probably cause me all kinds of headaches:  I'm married.
;)

I wonder if anodized aluminum would be better as corrosion
resistance than gold.  (I forget if that process messes with the
conductivity of the metal.)