[mythtv-users] OT slightly - MediaMVP won't boot

Paul Fine pfine at comcast.net
Tue May 16 09:04:43 EDT 2006

Paul Fine wrote:
> I also posted this question on the mvpmc forums, but I know that there
> are a few MediaMVP users watching this list, so I thought I might also
> try here for some advice.
>
> I am trying to setup a MediaMVP that I picked up on clearance from
> RadioShack. It is a Model 86001 Rev D3A.
>
> I have a DHCP server running on my Fedora Core 4 Mythtv backend and the
> TFTP-server is running. I confirmed that both the DHCP server and the
> TFTP server are working by getting a lease from a PC, and using that PC
> to extract the dongle.bin.mvpmc file from the server via TFTP.
>
> When I power up the MediaMVP, I see the DHCPDISCOVER and DHCPOFFER
> messages (using tcpdump), and then I see an RRQ message from the
> MediaMVP requesting the dongle.bin.mvpmc file.
>
> What I do not see is any acknowledgement of data received by the
> MediaMVP after this point. My server keeps sending 516 byte packets
> while getting no response. At some point, the DHCPDISCOVER and DHCPOFFER
> messages come across again.  I am at work right now, so I can't post the
> logs and tcpdump output.
>
> Any ideas/suggestions?

I found the solution to my problem, although I am not quite sure of the
"how" part.

I downloaded the "dongle.bin.mvpmc-0.2.1" image from
http://mvpmc.sourceforge.net to my WindowsXP laptop using Firefox.  I
then transferred this file to my mythtvbackend/dhcp/tftp server using
scp.  At some point in this process, dongle.bin.mvpmc-0.2.1 got
corrupted and the file size changed from 2.1MB to 14KB (This is the
"doh" part  I should have recognized that 14KB is not the correct size
for a Linux image).  I am assuming that the MediaMVP boot process
started to received the corrupted image via TFTP and choked on it,
causing it to reboot, or at least re-request the image file, thus
starting an endless DHCP request -> TFTP request -> DHCP request cycle.

When I finally managed to get an uncorrupted version of the image file
into my tftpboot directory, the MediaMVP booted without a problem.

I am still not sure where the corruption of the image file occurred.