[mythtv-users] Xv output with fglrx 8.24.8

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Mon May 15 16:04:31 EDT 2006

matt mead wrote:
> Does anyone have Xv output successfully working with fglrx 8.24.8?  I have a
> laptop with Radeon R250 (Mobility FireGL 9000).  After finally getting a
> modeline together that works properly with the LCD panel (the fact that it was
> not properly auto-detected as it is with the radeon driver leads me to believe
> ATI's driver is totally borked), I am getting the following mythfrontend output:
>
> 2006-05-11 10:43:27.110 VideoOutputXv Error: Could not find suitable XVideo
> surface.
> 2006-05-11 10:43:27.110 VideoOutputXv: Falling back to X shared memory video
> output.
>                                *** May be slow ***

I did have a Mobility Radeon 9000 (which is rv250, not r250) AGP card in
my mythbox. It was working with both X.org's radeon and fglrx, but it
performed poorly for HD video. AFAIK, Xv was working, but I don't have
that card in there right now.

On another note, I also had to generate and tweak a Modeline because my
stupid cheap LCD TV's EDID is borked, not because of card or driver. It
reported suboptimal modes and bogus size to ATI and Nvidia cards with
both Free and proprietary drivers on both Linux and Windows. This seems
to be a common problem with various TVs from various manufacturers,
based on the discussions I've seen on web forums.

Jonathan Rogers